Starting basic education one year later than enacted

Children usually start school the year they turn seven years old. Sometimes it may be in your child’s best interests not to start school until the following year. In other words, if necessary, it is possible to postpone your child’s start of school by one year. The postponement must always be based on an examination carried out by a physician or psychologist. The matter is always examined with thorough consideration. On the basis of the guardian’s application, the school’s headmaster will make a decision on starting basic education one year later than enacted.

If your child is in pre-primary education, the pre-primary education teacher draws up a pedagogical description of your child’s situation. The psychologist or physician will take the description received from pre-primary education into account in their statement. The school’s headmaster also has access to the pedagogical description.

If your child has not attended pre-primary education, you must take care of submitting the psychologist’s or physician’s statement to the school’s headmaster.


Contact your child’s pre-primary education teachers to enquire about starting school one year later than enacted.

If your child is in early childhood education, contact your child’s pre-primary education teachers to enquire about starting school one year earlier than enacted. School enrolment takes places in Wilma by using the form Enrolment in basic education. In Wilma, tick “We are applying to start basic education one year later than enacted”.

The other guardians will fill in the application form, attach the psychologist’s and, if necessary, the physician’s report to it and submit the application to the headmaster of the school closest to your home address. For more information on schools and school admission, visit Customer Service Centre Winkki or the city’s map service.

If you cannot use Wilma, contact Customer Service Centre Winkki.

Payment information

The service is free of charge.

Related services

Applying for a secondary school place Applying for further studies after basic education Assistance services and aids for basic education pupils Basic education Completion of compulsory basic education Completion of compulsory education at home Early childhood education that supplements pre-primary education Enhanced support in basic education Extended compulsory education Finnish or Swedish as a second language in basic education Flexible basic education Guidance counselling in basic education How to apply for the English-language class in basic education How to apply for the music class starting from the 3rd grade Individualised syllabus in basic education Instruction not bound to grades Instruction of native languages Instruction preparing for basic education Instruction preparing immigrants for basic education Joint application procedure for post-basic education Meals in day-care centres, pre-primary education, basic education and upper secondary schools Part-time special-needs education Pre-primary education Pre-primary education pupil welfare Pupil welfare services in basic education Religion and worldview studies Russian-speaking special-needs teacher in early childhood education School enrolment School transport Separate examination in basic education Special early childhood education coordinator Special teaching arrangements Special-needs education and special-needs support in basic education Special-needs education in general upper secondary education Special-needs teachers in early childhood education Starting basic education one year earlier than enacted Student welfare in general upper secondary education Studying a voluntary foreign language in basic education Support for growth and learning in pre-primary education Support measures for learning in basic education Weighted-curriculum education