Separate examination in basic education

It is possible to complete the basic education syllabus in a separate examination either completely or for individual syllabi. If your child is home schooled, it is possible for them to take a separate examination and that way obtain the basic education certificate. In some cases, the separate examination may also apply to pupils attending the city’s basic education.

The separate examination is usually taken in study modules of 2–3 subjects. That way, the individual examination period does not drag on or become too extensive when completing the entire syllabus. You can negotiate dividing and timing the subjects to be examined with the inspective teacher of the examination. However, the municipality determines the examination dates. The inspective teacher receives the separate examination and gives a final mark on the basis of it.

When completing the entire basic education syllabus, the pupil must attend education in subjects common to all in the separate examination: mother tongue and literature, second national language, foreign language, biology, geography, health education, mathematics, physics, chemistry, religion or worldview studies, history, social studies, physical education, crafts, home economics, visual arts and music. Optional subjects are not taken in the separate examination.

A person who has successfully completed the separate examination will be given a certificate called Separate Basic Education Certificate.


If your child is home schooled, contact the inspective teacher in good time, preferably by the end of October, to agree on the separate examination.

Contact the school’s headmaster if your child is enrolled in a city school and you would like the child to take a separate examination in some syllabi.

You will find more information on moving to home schooling via page "Completion of compulsory education at home".

Payment information

The service is free of charge.

Service background and legislation

Related services

Applying for a secondary school place Applying for further studies after basic education Assistance services and aids for basic education pupils Basic education Completion of compulsory basic education Completion of compulsory education at home Enhanced support in basic education Extended compulsory education Finnish or Swedish as a second language in basic education Flexible basic education Guidance counselling in basic education How to apply for the English-language class in basic education How to apply for the music class starting from the 3rd grade Individualised syllabus in basic education Instruction not bound to grades Instruction of native languages Instruction preparing for basic education Instruction preparing immigrants for basic education Joint application procedure for post-basic education Meals in day-care centres, pre-primary education, basic education and upper secondary schools Part-time special-needs education Pupil welfare services in basic education Religion and worldview studies School enrolment School transport Special teaching arrangements Special-needs education and special-needs support in basic education Special-needs education in general upper secondary education Starting basic education one year earlier than enacted Starting basic education one year later than enacted Student welfare in general upper secondary education Studying a voluntary foreign language in basic education Support measures for learning in basic education Weighted-curriculum education